Saturday, November 19, 2005

Goodnight Moon

News arrived during the week of a new publication. This is an old children's favourite at all the libraries I work in and visit, but it has been republished, and dare I say, censored. Maybe edited is a better word. I blogged the event on my library blog and in Pivotal Communicationbecause somehow the ramifications are echoing. I guess I objected to children's publishers trying to please vocal pressure groups. But having thought about it, given that fewer people are smoking, then perhaps the depiction of the father figure without a cigarette in his hand is simply a better depiction of reality. And that, of course, is the trend in childrens literature, isn't it? - towards reality rather than to creating dreams and illusions.

Visit the original New York Times article.

No comments: