Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Desiderata - No less than the trees and the stars

Once upon a time, this was everywhere - along with incense, cheesecloth and kaftans.

I was at university and, like so many people, I had a copy of it hanging on my wall.

I was in awe of it and it belonged with all that was different and a bit mystical, like incense, cheesecloth and kaftans  ...  and Pink Floyd.



Occasionally I see this document.

It was hanging on the back of a toilet door at a birthday party we went to about 10 years ago.

Today, something brought it back to me .... with a whole new/old perspective on the wisdom.  I think it was the walk through the bush and the feeling of belonging.  "No less than the trees and the stars you have a right to be here."

I guess we do - I do - have a right to be here.

Sometimes I wonder, as we spread across the landscape like a rash.  Sometimes I wonder as our current government seems to be putting all sorts of commercial considerations ahead of the future of our beautiful country.  Sometimes I wonder as I, personally, put my comfort ahead of the needs of my environment, and spend less and less time playing with earth and plants.

I have a right to be here.

No less than the trees and the stars.



OK, I have a right to be here - but not at their expense.  Not at the expense of the trees and the stars.

Please don't let us want to go rape planets as we use up all the resources on this one.  Let us learn to live within our means.

"Whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."

I hope so.

I can only hope that we all gradually get caught up in the rebellion that is called "green", that it spreads and becomes more powerful than the commerce that currently rules the world.  It's coming.  It really is.

Isn't it?

No comments: